A cool little stop if I ever make it to Germany. Note: coordinate timing with the arrival of snow. 😊
One beautiful reason too get to Bavaria, Germany.
Next time I’m in New York City 🙏, I’d like to see the original Washington Crossing the Delaware painting.
I’m sure you’ve seen this painting before, but it would be amazing to see it in its original, massive form (12′ by 21′) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
There are so many fascinating things about this painting. Here are a few highlights, but I recommend listening to at least the intro of Washington’s Crossing to really appreciate it.
- The painting depicts the secret Christmas-night 1776 launch of the momentum-grabbing surprise attack on the British and German soldiers occupying New Jersey.
- At the time, five months after the Declaration of Independence, the new American army had seen defeat after defeat and was 90% destroyed. Thus the gloomy atmosphere with a hint of sunshine in the background.
- The painting was made by German-American painter Emanuel Leutze in 1850 with a goal of promoting democracy in Europe and fighting slavery in the United States. 🤩
- The painting makes efforts to show all kinds of people from all over America literally in the same boat together. This includes a black man, a big statement back in 1850 during slavery. The paining was used for abolition fundraising.
- The copy in NYC was the second one painted by Leutze. The first went to his native Germany and was destroyed by a British bombing raid during World War II — Britain’s final revenge on the American revolution. 😆
The waterfall over the river Bjoreio in Norway now has a 597-foot-tall, 99-step bridge you wan walk over it for stunning views. Another reason to get to Norway (eventually)!
Also, how do you say these words?
The step bridge at Vøringsfossen goes across the river Bjoreio, connecting the viewpoints and paths at Fossatromma and Fossli.
Another cool / creepy place in Ireland with a very Harry Potter vibe. ☘️🧙♂️
This is one of my very favorite spots in Ireland. Serious Harry Potter vibes. 🤓
If I ever get to Switzerland, I’m staying here. 🤩
I’m pretty sure this hotel is part of the Society Of The Crossed Keys. 🗝😉
Next time I’m in Portugal, I’m going to ride the little yellow tram. What a stylish way to get around! I don’t even care where I’m going. 😆
Some more inspiration to get to Australia some day, and in particular Bondi Beach. They even have shared surf boards sitting around! 🤩